Hello and welcome to issue 5 of the Members News! As always, please be sure to let me know if you have anything you would like to include in this forum. If you want to share a special upcoming event involving our members or something theater related that might be of interest to folks, please send me a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On January 7, 2021, the Board of Directors met for their monthly meeting. Here are some highlights from that meeting.
- Financial Reports were presented and Mike stated we have funds to support us for approximately 11 months. Donations have been steady and we received $6000 in a grant from the Charles County Arts Alliance. The new sound system is completely paid for! He is always on the look out for grant/donation opportunities, so if you hear of anything, please pass it on to email@example.com
- Productions – Tara has reached out to several groups to see if they would like to present a virtual performance of a play and has received positive responses. We will also put out a notice to the membership to see if anyone else might be interested. MTI has a Zoom production guide on how to put on a virtual performance. Members interested in directing a virtual show will need to present a script for approval and prepare a budget for the show. MTI has several shows that can be done virtually and use canned music (at a cost of $700). MTI will charge a percentage of the ticket price or a flat fee (nominal). See the website under Our Shows for further information.
Watch the website for upcoming performances – Encore Kids and Teens, In the Directors Chair.
- Properties – presented an SOP for the position. No further updates
- Costumes – re-organization continues. We are still getting donations in and working on a regular basis to sort and label our current inventory.
- Membership – database for members (Junior/Regular/Lifetime has been updated and ballots have been mailed to all regular members and lifetime members. We currently have a total of 109 Regular paid members, 9 Lifetime members and 7 Junior members. Be sure to contact membership@ptplayers in order to renew your membership for the 2020-2021 membership year.
- Education – we held an audition class taught by the incomparable Chad Mildenstein on January 8, 2021. Very informative and well presented! Thank you, Chad! Watch for upcoming classes.
- Facilities – the siding project is almost complete with just a few minor repairs to be done. It looks fabulous – if you’re in La Plata, drive by and take a look! Work on the bathroom in rehearsal hall will begin shortly. Other projects are proceeding as time and crew permit.
- Discussion was held with members from the production staffs of Charlie Brown and Legally Blonde regarding upcoming season and the best way to move forward. It was decided that any decisions should be tabled until the new board members are elected and can have input into the process.
Next Board Meeting will be held on February 4, 2021 at 7PM.
WINTER GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING – will be held on February 6 at 4pm. Vote will be taken on the by-law proposal and new board members will be announced. Hope to see you all there!
Feature of The Month
I want to take a few moments to talk about the upcoming membership meeting and the importance of the vote for the Board members. Maybe more important is the Board itself.
The Port Tobacco Players were founded by a group of people in 1947 who wanted to raise money for the restoration of the town of Port Tobacco. In order to raise funds for this endeavor, they decided to “put on a show” and provide live entertainment to the Community. And thus – the Port Tobacco Players was formed. And for over 70 years, we have continued to provide the Community with quality entertainment because of the dedication of a few people who take the time to serve on the Board of Directors of PTP. Over the years, this group has found locations for performances of a traveling troupe, leased a building for a “permanent” performance space, renovated the space, purchased the building, made further renovations and kept the group solvent and still “performing” during a pandemic.
We are the longest continually active community theater in the State of Maryland. This is because of those that continue to donate their talent and time to see that this legacy goes on.
These are not professional organizers or financial gurus or miracle workers. They are (and always have been) regular people who are dedicated to the theater arts and who want to see live theater continue to thrive in Southern Maryland.
They work many hours working on getting financing, making sure the building and equipment are in good working order, provide educational programming, arrange for virtual performances, keep the community informed of upcoming events, and problem solve to keep us going.
You can agree or disagree with decisions made. You can wish we had more bathroom space. You can wonder what they were thinking when they decided why to pick a particular color for the walls of the green room. But no matter what you do, you need to thank these people, past and present, who have made the Port Tobacco Players who they are today – a COMMUNITY of people who love theater, love OUR theater and work so hard for all of us to have a home where we can show our talents and be a family.
Please vote, attend the membership meeting on February 6, 2021 at 4PM and be a part of the family that is PTP