It was in the days following the Second World War, when a weary America turned its eyes toward rebuilding. The residents of the small but history laden town of Port Tobacco had only to look across their small town square, at the burned rubble of their once proud courthouse, to decide what had to be done. In the winter of 1947, in the drawing room of Stagg Hall, a plan was conceived to raise money to aid the Port Tobacco Restoration Society return their town to glory. This group of artists from Port Tobacco and nearby La Plata set out to bring to the stage entertainment that would provide enough profit to continue their endeavor and provide for their cause. PTP spent the next twenty or so years performing in high school auditoriums, court rooms, village greens... wherever anyone wanted to see a play. Their efforts paid off and the courthouse was restored.
In 1974 a permanent home was found -- a 1940's movie theater owned by a local pharmacist was the ideal spot to begin a new era. From those days, we have evolved into what we are today: a cultural staple in Charles County's historic landscape. Today PTP performs six shows per season on our recently renovated main stage in downtown La Plata and also performs countless road productions with their Encore and Encore Kids touring companies. The Port Tobacco Players are dedicated to continuing the tradition of providing quality theater to the citizens of Southern Maryland.
The Port Tobacco Players is supported in part by a grant from the Charles County Arts Alliance and the Maryland State Arts Council and an award from the National Endowment for the Arts.